East Molesey in Surrey County, England, United Kingdom
Today, the area of East Molesey has three Conservation Areas of Bridge Road, Kent Town and Old Village which contain a number of statutory and locally Listed Buildings.
In 1812, a Bill was passed through Parliament to construct the “Moulsey Lock”. The construction of four locks at Chertsey, Shepperton, Sunbury and Teddington had previously been approved. Similar to the river bridges, the cost of river maintenance and construction work was funded by raising tolls from river users. The lock was a pound lock design built of wooden piles and wooden panels with handles. By the mid 19th Century, barge traffic declined and as leisure time increased pleasure boats predominated.
The Thames around Molesey Lock was particularly popular with the Edwardians and Victorians. In 1889, Jerome K. Jerome wrote ‘Three Men in a Boat’ and records “It is Boulter's (lock) not even excepted, the busiest lock on the river. I have stood and watched it sometimes when, you could not see any water at all, but only a brilliant tangle of bright blazers, and gay caps, and saucy hats, and many coloured parasols, and silken rugs, and cloaks, and streaming ribbons, and dainty whites." In 1905 the lock was refurbished, the lock house was rebuilt in the
At Hampton Court Bridge, the path crosses over and continues along the Middlesex bank towards Kingston. Walking due west towards Walton and Weybridge there are a number of interesting landmarks and remains of local history:-
Major flooding by the Thames is marked by plates dated 1821 & 1894 on the Thames Conservators Offices showing the water levels and another of 1947 on the wall near the lock keeper's office.
Molesey Boat Club which stands at the intersection of the towpath and Graburn Way was built in 1901 to accommodate the Amateur Boat Club founded in 1867. This organised many of the famous boating regattas and its members have competed successfully in the 1992 Olympics.
Taggs Island was named after a local family who owned a major boat building and hotel business. The island, originally used for growing osiers (for willow baskets etc.) was transformed in the Victorian era into a popular society pleasure resort surrounded by elegant house boats.
Molesey Hurst beyond the boathouse saw one of the first recorded cricket matches in 1731, first recorded game of golf in 1758 and was a venue for duels, pugilistic prize fighting and horse racing. The brick and cast iron gates at Graburn Way are all that remain of the racecourse and the area is now a District Park. The two vista lines are being maintained between the spire of St. Paul's Church in East Molesey and Garricks Temple and St. Mary's Cheurch on the opposite bank.
In Victorian and Edwardian times, the riverbanks were lined with houseboats and one particular vessel the "Cigarette" gave
As the volume and type of traffic grew too much for the bridge, work began in 1930 on the fourth and present version. This included the demolition of the old Castle Hotel, the diverting of the River Mole into the Ember, the filling up of the old Creek and a new road, now known as the Hampton Court Way, built to connect with Portsmouth Road. The bridge was designed by W.P. Robinson and Sir Edwin Lutyens R.A. and built of ferro-concrete faced with hand-made red bricks and Portland stone, in the style of the "Wren" portions of Hampton Court Palace. It was opened in April 1933 by the then Prince of Wales, later the Duke of Windsor.
Elmbridge Borough Council … bridging the communities … Planning and Environmental Services
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 51° 24.196′ N, 0° 20.585′ W. Marker is in East Molesey, England, in Surrey County. Marker is at the intersection of Riverbank and Hampton Court Way, on the left when traveling south on Riverbank. Located on the wall overlooking the River Thames near the Hampton Court Bridge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: East Molesey, England KT8 9AS, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Family Coat of Arms of Thomas Newland Allen (a few steps from this marker); Barge Walk (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Site of the Toy Inn (about 180 meters away); The Privy Garden (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Broad Walk (approx. half a kilometer away); The Great Fountain Garden (approx. half a kilometer away); Golden Jubilee Fountain (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Home Park and the Long Water (approx. 0.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Molesey.
Also see . . .
1. Molesey History. (Submitted on June 12, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Molesey on Wikipedia. (Submitted on June 12, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 247 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 12, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.