Settled 1858 as Rio Frio. Later called "Dog Town" because ranchers used many dogs to round up cattle. 1871 townsite was laid out as Colfax. Made county seat 1877.
Renamed for S.J. Tilden, who won popular vote for U.S. President, 1876.
Ranching and petroleum center. Noted for fine rural high school, annual rodeo, historic sites.
Erected 1966 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5492.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 28° 27.653′ N, 98° 32.98′ W. Marker is in Tilden, Texas, in McMullen County. Marker is on River Street (State Highway 16) south of Elm Street (State Highway 72), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located at the southwest corner of the McMullen County Courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 River Street, Tilden TX 78072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McMullen County (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Rock Store (within shouting distance of this
Also see . . .
1. Tilden History in a Pecan Shell.
In 1858, there were two communities in the area. Thirty people who had congregated near the mouth of Leoncita Creek on the Frio River looked around for something to name their town after. They came up with Rio Frio. Rio Frio was once called Dog Town for a mass execution of the towns canine population by drunken cowboys. Dog Town had 190 people by 1870 and the town got its own post office the following year. The name of the town was changed to Colfax in 1871. In 1877 it was chosen as the county seat when McMullen County was organized, and the name was changed to Tilden. (Submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Tilden, Texas.
In 1879 a ferry across the Frio was established at Tilden, and about (Submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.