Tilden in McMullen County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Rock Store
Built about 1865 by Pat Cavanaugh, Irish stonemason, assisted by Dick Barker. Site of gun battles in Dog Town (now Tilden), "wide open" during lawless era of the 1860's and 1870's. Preserved since 1929 by Clifton Wheeler, owner.
Erected 1966 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3799.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 28° 27.684′ N, 98° 32.982′ W. Marker is in Tilden, Texas, in McMullen County. Marker is on River Street (State Highway 16) south of Elm Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker and Texas Historical Medallion are mounted at eye-level, directly on the front of the subject building, just right of the main entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 502 River Street, Tilden TX 78072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McMullen County (within shouting distance of this marker); Tilden Dog Town Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Boot Hill Cemetery, 1858-77 (about 500 feet away); Original Burial Site of Moses William Hindes (about 500 feet away); San Caja Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Camp Rio Frio, C.S.A. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old McMullen College (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tilden.
Regarding Old Rock Store. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1966)
Also see . . . Historic Photograph of the Old Rock Store in Tilden, Texas.
(This link presents an Historic Photograph of the Old Rock Store.) (Submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.