Cotulla in La Salle County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cotulla City Park
Polish immigrant Joseph Cotulla (1844-1923) migrated to present-day La Salle County in 1865. The town of Cotulla, founded in 1882, became the county seat in 1883, and Joseph donated land for the courthouse and city park. In its early years the park served as a campsite for travelers and ranchers. At the turn of the century a bandstand was built, and concerts and lectures were held at the park. A miniature golf course and playground equipment were added in the 1930s. The site of many cultural and social events, Cotulla City Park has been a center of community life.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8127.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1865.
Location. 28° 26.148′ N, 99° 14.135′ W. Marker is in Cotulla, Texas, in La Salle County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Main Street (Business Interstate 35) and Center Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located at Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 North Main Street, Cotulla TX 78014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Polish Immigrant Joseph Cotulla (within shouting distance of this marker); La Salle County's First Artesian Well (within shouting distance of this marker); La Salle County (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Cotulla (within shouting distance of this marker); The First United Methodist Church of Cotulla (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old San Antonio Road (about 700 feet away); Kings Highway (about 700 feet away).
Also see . . . Brief History of Cotulla.
What was the early 1881 town of Cotulla really like and what did it have to offer the settler? There were no real streets, just cow trails with heavy brush on each side, barely wide enough for one wagon to pass through. There were about twenty families living in Cotulla and most of their houses consisted of only one or two room wooden shacks or lean-tos. Even by 1899 there were no screened houses in Cotulla, however a few did have wooden shutters. There were no telephones, electricity, or running water and very few comforts. Ice could be shipped by express, but it was very expensive and used only for the sick or very special occasions. People bought river water by (Submitted on June 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.