Cotulla in La Salle County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The First United Methodist Church of Cotulla
The first Protestant church in Cotulla, this congregation was organized in 1881 as the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The first services were held in the home of John Freeman by the Rev. W. H. Keck. In 1883 the members built a frame chapel at the site of the present parsonage. The only church facility in town, it was shared with Presbyterian and Baptist congregations. The current brick sanctuary was constructed in 1906 during the pastorate of the Rev. Temple G. Woolls. An educational building was added in 1928.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8133.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
Location. 28° 26.175′ N, 99° 14.191′ W. Marker is in Cotulla, Texas, in La Salle County. Marker is on North Center Street east of North Kerr Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located directly in front of the church, near the sidewalk. Church and marker are directly across Center Street (to the north) from the La Salle County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 North Center Street, Cotulla TX 78014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. La Salle County (within shouting distance of this marker); Cotulla City Park La Salle County's First Artesian Well (about 400 feet away); Polish Immigrant Joseph Cotulla (about 400 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Cotulla (about 500 feet away); The Old San Antonio Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kings Highway (approx. 0.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.