Elmira in Chemung County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mark Twain in Elmira
How did Samuel Clemens arrive in Elmira, NY?
Thirty-two-year-old Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) first saw the image of Elmira's Olivia Langdon while traveling on the Quaker City Steamer — a cruise ship charted to visit Europe and the Holy Land. Clemens was onboard to report the journey. While traveling Clemens met Olivia's younger brother, seventeen-year-old Charles Langdon, and the two became friends. Charley showed Samuel a picture of his older sister, twenty-two-year-old Livy. Much later, a courtship began, and marriage followed on February 2, 1870.
Summers in Elmira
Beginning in 1870 and continuing until 1889, Samuel and Livy and their growing family spent summer months in Elmira where they stayed with Livy's adopted older sister, Susan Crane, and her husband, Theodore, at their home, Quarry Farm. Quarry Farm was located on East Hill overlooking the Chemung River. By Clemens' own admission, life in Hartford offered many distractions, while the relatively quiet life at Quarry Farm allowed him to "pile up manuscript" at a more satisfying rate.
In 1874, Susan Crane
In 1952, the Study was moved from its original location at Quarry Farm to the Elmira College campus. Here, the Study is preserved, and visitors can easily access it. The Study is open for visitors in late Spring, Summer, and early Fall. If you are viewing the Study in the off-season, please feel free to call (607) 735-1941 to arrange a visit to the Study and the Cowles Hall Exhibit. If available, we will be happy to open both the Study
The cornerstone for Cowles Hall was laid in 1854, and Elmira Female College opened in October 1855. Its central octagonal design was popular in the mid-nineteenth century and was reflected in many homes in the region. Olivia Langdon's father, Jervis Langdon, served on the College's Board of Trustees, and Olivia was a student at the College. She entered the program of the Preparatory Department in 1858. Her enrollment and the record of her studies with Elmira College professors qualifies Olivia as a member of the Class of 1864.
Other Twain Sites of Interest
Visit Langdon Plaza, the site of the Langdon Mansion
Visit Woodlawn Cemetery where Mark Twain and his family are buried.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Arts, Letters, Music.
Location. 42° 5.866′ N, 76° 48.852′ W. Marker is in Elmira, New York, in Chemung County. Marker is at the intersection of Park Place and West 7th Street, on the right when traveling north on Park Place. Marker is located on the Elmira College Campus, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 Park Place, Elmira NY 14901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mark Twain Study (a few steps from this marker); Mark Twain Watering Trough (within shouting distance of this marker); Elmira College (within shouting distance of this marker); Tompkins Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gillett Memorial Hall (about 400 feet away); Kopernik (approx. half a mile away); A.M.E. Zion Church (approx. half a mile away); Old Second Street Cemetery (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elmira.
Also see . . .
1. The wooden octagon in which Huckleberry Finn and A Connecticut Yankee were born.
Clemens summered in Elmira at the home of his in-laws, the Langdon’s, for much of his adult life. He alternated between the Langdon mansion in Elmira and Quarry Farm up on a nearby hill. From the farm, which Clemens often walked to, the author could look over the Chemung valley. It was here, in an octagon study built for him by his sister-in-law, that he wrote his most famous works. (Submitted on June 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Restoration Revives Elmira College's Historic Cowles Hall.
To salvage the 158-year-old Cowles Hall at Elmira College and maintain its aesthetic and historic value, an extensive $29-million stabilization and restoration project was (Submitted on June 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7. submitted on June 14, 2018. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.