Sabine Pass in Jefferson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Spanish-American War Fortifications
(Approximately 3 miles south)
Although the emplacements were soon completed, the shore guns were never part of military action here. The Spanish-American War ended December 10, 1898, with the signing of the Treaty of Paris.
Following the war, there were efforts to establish a permanent military installation at the site. Officials dropped the plan, however, by 1901. In 1913, fifteen years after the war, the fortifications were the site of a tragic accident, in which a Sabine boy was killed when an abandoned ammunition cache exploded.
Evidence of the Spanish-American War fortifications
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10568.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, Spanish-American. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1898.
Location. 29° 43.999′ N, 93° 52.471′ W. Marker is in Sabine Pass, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Dick Dowling Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located within the Sabine Pass Battleground State Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6100 Dick Dowling Road, Sabine Pass TX 77655, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Manhassett (here, next to this marker); World War II Coastal Defenses at Sabine Pass (here, next to this marker); United States Forces at the Battle of Sabine Pass (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Federal Fatalities at the Battle of Sabine Pass (about 300 feet away); Capture of the USS Morning Light and USS Velocity (about 400 feet away); Site of Fort Griffin (about 500 feet away); Richard Dowling (about 500 feet away); Union Casualties at the Battle of Sabine Pass (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sabine Pass.
More about this marker. Marker is dual dated 1983 and 2006. I assume this means it was either refurbished or relocated to this site in 2006.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 14, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.