“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tumwater in Thurston County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)

Crosby House

Crosby House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Shirley A Stirling, April 10, 2018
1. Crosby House Marker
Registered State Historic Place
Washington State Advisory Council on Historic Preservation

Crosby House

Under the provisions of the State Historic Preservation Act of 1967, this property possesses particular value in commemorating or illustrating American History. Placed on the State Register July 30, 1971 by the Governor's Advisory Council on Historic Preservation.
Erected 1971 by Washington State Parks & Recreation Commission. (Marker Number 44.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is July 31, 1971.
Location. 47° 1.235′ N, 122° 54.314′ W. Marker is in Tumwater, Washington, in Thurston County. Marker is at the intersection of Grant Street SW and Deschutes Way SW, on the right when traveling west on Grant Street SW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 702 Deschutes Way SW, Olympia WA 98501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lone Tree (approx. 0.7 miles away); Thurston County (approx. 0.7 miles away);

Crosby House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Shirley A Stirling, April 10, 2018
2. Crosby House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
The Medal of Honor Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away); POW AND MIA Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away); The First William Winlock Miller High School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Marathon Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); Washington's State Capitol Design (approx. 1.2 miles away); John Rankin Rogers (approx. 1.6 miles away).
Also see . . .  Crosby House (City of Tumwater). The Crosby House dates from ca. 1860 and was built by Nathaniel Crosby III after he married Cordelia Jane Smith in August of 1860. Miss Smith was the daughter of Jacob and Priscilla Smith who lived in the Lacey area....The illustrious house changed hands numerous times of throughout the years before it was placed with a trustee, William Manier, a local attorney. Through the efforts of the Schmidt family and descendants of the Crosby family, the house was purchased and donated to the Daughters of the Pioneers of Washington, Chapter 4 in 1947....In 1978, the Daughters of the Pioneers gave the house to the City of Tumwater with provision that the Daughters would have a life estate in the property as long as Chapter 4 continued. The Daughters of the Pioneers have restored and furnished the house and indeed have
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
fought valiantly to keep the house through the construction of Deschutes Parkway and Interstate 5. The house also features a pioneer garden. (Submitted on April 19, 2018.) 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 11, 2018, by Shirley A Stirling of Lacey, Washington. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on June 14, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos:   1. submitted on April 11, 2018, by Shirley A Stirling of Lacey, Washington.   2. submitted on April 13, 2018, by Shirley A Stirling of Lacey, Washington. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements

Sep. 26, 2022