San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Edward Steves House
Excellent example of lavish Victorian architecture of late 1800s. Built in 1874 by German immigrant Edward Steves, founder of a family prominent in city financial and social circles.
Stuccoed limestone exterior walls are 13" thick. The richly decorated front porch reflects skilled carpentry and millwork. Rain water once drained into a cistern from the Mansard roof.
The San Antonio Conservation Society acquired house in 1952.
Erected 1970 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5117.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings.
Location. 29° 24.762′ N, 98° 29.715′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on King William Street south of East Johnson Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker and Texas Historical Medallion are mounted at eye-level, directly on the front wall of Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 509 King William Street, San Antonio TX 78204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edward Steves Homestead (here, next to this marker); Biesenbach House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); King William Neighborhood (about 400 feet away); Elias and Lucy Edmonds House (about 400 feet away); Carl Hilmar Guenther House (about 500 feet away); Norton-Polk-Mathis House (about 500 feet away); Alfred Giles House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Guenther's Upper Mill (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Regarding Old Edward Steves House. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1970)
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Edward Steves Homestead
Also see . . .
1. Edward Steves Homestead. The Edward Steves residence is of Victorian French Second Empire design and constructed of smooth-dressed ashlar limestone. The three-story home is a rectangular block with the kitchen and servants’ quarters forming an ell to the rear. The house has a concave mansard roof with dormer windows. Also present on the property are a carriage house, servants’ quarters and a natatorium, the (Submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Edward Steves. As alderman, Fair Association trustee, director of the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway and the Board of Trade, and chief volunteer of Volunteer Fire Company No. 2, Steves expended his prodigious energy toward improving San Antonio. In 1883, in association with his earliest patron in the city, John Kampmann, Steves received a contract to pave Commerce Street with mesquite blocks. At the same time he suggested that telephone, telegraph, and electric poles be removed and that cables be placed underground so as not to mar the beauty of the street. (Submitted on July 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.