San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A German immigrant, August Biesenbach (1848-1915) and his wife, Louisa (1852-1916), began construction of this house in 1880. The walls of the house are stucco over brick with a hipped roof and Gothic Revival details. From 1910 to 1955, the house was owned and occupied by members of the Guenther Mill family. In 1955, O'Neil Ford, the famed director of the La Villita restoration project, purchased the house which served as offices for his architecture firm for the next 26 years, during which time he designed the Tower of the Americas in HemisFair Park and numerous buildings for Trinity University.
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18355.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 29° 24.719′ N, 98° 29.723′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on King William Street north of East Guenther Street, on the right Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 528 King William St, San Antonio TX 78204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carl Hilmar Guenther House (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward Steves Homestead (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Edward Steves House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); King William Neighborhood (about 600 feet away); Elias and Lucy Edmonds House (about 700 feet away); Norton-Polk-Mathis House (about 800 feet away); Alfred Giles House (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Guenther's Upper Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. King William Historic District
Also see . . . August Biesenbach House. Mr. Biesenbach was a successful mercantile businessman who built this Victorian cottage for $1800. The walls are stuccoed; the hipped roof is metal-clad with gabled dormers. The overhanging eaves with exposed rafter ends and the diagonal porch-support braces are characteristic of the Stick style. (Submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.