San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Carl Hilmar Guenther House
Has been listed in the
of Historic Places
by The United States
Department of the
Erected 1990 by United States Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 29° 24.69′ N, 98° 29.757′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker can be reached from East Guenther Street west of King William Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is mounted on the west side of the building. The Guenther House, marker and Pioneer Mills are accessed via the main entrance on E Guenther St. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 E Guenther St, San Antonio TX 78204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Biesenbach House (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward Steves Homestead (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Edward Steves House (about 500 feet away); King William Neighborhood Elias and Lucy Edmonds House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Norton-Polk-Mathis House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alfred Giles House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Guenther's Upper Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. King William Historic District
Also see . . . Carl H. Guenther House and Pioneer Flower Mills. The Guenthers had a neighborhood family compound; all four houses in the 200 block of East Guenther were dwellings of family members. When built, these houses were not separated from the senior Guenther’s home by the San Antonio River; the original river channel ran behind the mill. Carl Guenther immigrated to Texas from Germany in 1851, moved to San Antonio in 1859, and established this mill, which was later expanded to Pioneer Flower Mills. The original one-story house where he reared his family had two upper stories added in later years. The home is restored and contains a restaurant, gift shop and house museum. (Submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.