Mason in Mason County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mason County Courthouse
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark–1988
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11286.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
Location. 30° 44.921′ N, 99° 13.916′ W. Marker is in Mason, Texas, in Mason County. Marker is at the intersection of Fort McKavett Street (U.S. 87) and Broad Street, on the right when traveling east on Fort McKavett Street. Marker is located on the north side of the Courthouse.Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Fort McKavett St, Mason TX 76856, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hofmann Dry Goods Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Mason & Camp Llano C.S.A. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mason County Jail (about 300 feet away); Mason National Bank (about 400 feet away); The Commercial Bank (about 400 feet away); R. Grosse and Sons (about 400 feet away); First Comanche-German Meeting (approx. 0.2 miles away); Broad Street Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mason.
Regarding Mason County Courthouse. Mason County has had three courthouses: 1875, 1878 and 1909. This last courthouse, which was being prepared for renovations, was destroyed by fire on February 5, 2021. The Courthouse caught fire Thursday night, became engulfed in flames, and is considered a total loss. Law enforcement officials have a suspect in custody that they believe started the fire.
Also see . . .
1. Mason County Courthouse. (This link presents various exterior, interior and historic photographs of the courthouse.) (Submitted on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Mason, Texas. The first county courthouse and a jail were built in 1869. Previously, (Submitted on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo showing current status of Courthouse. • Can you help?