San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Gustav Blersch House
This house is one of three standing antebellum structures in the King William Historic District. Gustav Blersch, a German immigrant, importer and retail dealer, built this two-story limestone home in 1860 with designer Gustave Freisleben and contractor John Hermann Kampmann. Blersch sold the property to banker James T. Thornton in 1871. The Thorntons enlarged the house, adding a two-story rear wing and bay window. From 1883 to 1905, the home was owned by numerous families. In 1905 it was purchased by William Clarkson. Porches were enclosed and a sleeping porch added c.1920. In 1948 the home was sold to cousins, the Watson family, who continue to care for this historic structure.
Marker is property of The State of Texas
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16997.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
Location. 29° 25.004′ N, 98° 29.564′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 213 Washington Street, San Antonio TX 78204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Oge House (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of United States San Antonio Arsenal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sartor House (about 400 feet away); Site of Guenther's Upper Mill (about 400 feet away); Television History was Made Here / Aquí Se Hizo Historia en la Televisión (about 600 feet away); Alfred Giles House (about 700 feet away); Norton-Polk-Mathis House (approx. ¼ mile away); Ernst Homestead (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Regarding Gustav Blersch House. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (2011)
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. King William Historic District
Also see . . .
1. King William Historic District. The most famous part of the historic district is an area between Alamo Street and the San Antonio River. Between 1853 and 1859 streets were laid out, including King William Street, the district's major thoroughfare, (Submitted on June 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Blersch House. A one-story raised cottage with classical Victorian folk details, it was the home of Gustav Blersch who operated a stationery and book store. It is one of the oldest houses in the area and one of the few examples remaining in San Antonio of the raised cottage style, often built in the Gulf Coast region for cooling and ventilation purposes. (Submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.