North Blenheim in Schoharie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built by John Lansing
about 1800. Justice of
N.Y. Supreme Court, 1790-1801;
Chancellor 1801-14. Owner
part of Blenheim Patent.
Erected 1936 by New York State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1800.
Location. 42° 26.925′ N, 74° 28.079′ W. Marker is in North Blenheim, New York, in Schoharie County. Marker is on New York State Route 30, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: North Blenheim NY 12131, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blenheim-Gilboa Bluebird Trail (approx. 0.9 miles away); Gen. Freegift Patchin (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Long Path (approx. 1½ miles away); Town of Gilboa (approx. 1½ miles away); Indian Trail (approx. 1½ miles away); Old Blenheim Bridge (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Re-Creation (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Floods (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in North Blenheim.
Regarding Manor House.
Lansing never lived in the manor. He built it for his daughter, Frances, and her husband, the Honorable Jacob Sutherland. The manor reflects the well to do lifestyle of Anglo-Dutch landowners. The Sutherlands owned the manor estate until 1836. Essentially, only four families occupied the Lansing Manor in its one hundred fifty-three years as a private residence. Dr. David Rosseter and his wife, Sarah, enjoyed the estate from 1849 through 1861 when they sold it to E.Y. Spring. Beech Wood Farm, as it was named by the spring family, became a successful farm and dairy operation. In
The house is a Federal style brick structure incased in wood siding and has changed little since 1819. At one time, black cherry trees lined the drive were carriages would approach the front, graced by a large fountain. Water was supplied to both the house and the fountain through a series of buried "Pipes" which were cedar logs with a hole bored through the center, allowing water to flow. The logs carried the water from a spring on the opposite hill. The home also had its own well with a winch that hauled up a bucket full of water at a time. Later, in the 1900's, Beech Wood Farm operated its own carbide gas plant for lighting the house and barns. Electricity was not installed until the 1940's.
An interesting story, handed down by the Spring family, is a tale of their Newfoundland dog. A large sized breed, the canine was harnessed to a butter churn and by circling around the barrel to turn the inner paddles would make the family's butter. However, the dog was clever enough to sense when the regular day for the chore approached and would promptly disappear the night before. Since the dog was expected to "pull his weight" on the farm, he was confined the night before to ensure his appearance in the morning.
Also see . . . Visit Blenheim-Gilboa. NYS Power Authority website entry (Submitted on September 28, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
1. John Lansing Jr. Cenotaph
Mr. Lansing (mysteriously disappeared on 12 Dec 1829) is reported to be memorialized with a cenotaph in Albany Rural Cemetery in Menands, NY. Despite numerous web attributions to the cenotaph, it could not be located on our last visit—even with the assistance of very helpful cemetery office personnel. Anyone with a photograph of the memorial is encouraged to add it to this page.
— Submitted November 5, 2011,
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 2,688 times since then and 117 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 28, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.