Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Custom House, Post Office and United States Court House
The Congress of the United States
* March 4, 1854 *
* March 31, 1864 *
This was the first building erected
by the United States of America
for civil uses in the State of Texas
The first session of the United States District Court
was held in this building January, 1861, prior to completion
The Honorable John C. Watrous
United States District Judge
State of Texas
as a result of the restoration the building is hereby redesignated
United States Court House – Federal Building
June 17, 1967
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately 📭 series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 31, 1861.
Location. 29° 18.327′ N, 94° 47.379′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 502 20th Street, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Galveston Historical Foundation (a few steps from this marker); Federal Building 1857 (within shouting distance of this marker); 1894 Grand Opera House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Old Galveston Market House and City Hall (about 600 feet away); St. Mary's Cathedral (about 600 feet away); American National Insurance Company (about 700 feet away); Site of Galveston Seminary (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
More about this marker. The marker is a large metal plaque, with two related markers mounted underneath.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. U.S. Custom House, Galveston, Texas (1861)
Also see . . .
1. Custom House (1861). This elegant Greek Revival public building is thought to be the first building in Galveston designed by an architect. Building crews rushed to finish the building before Texas seceded from the Union, completing construction in a record four and a half months. It probably withstood shelling during the Battle of Galveston, and was the site of a “bread (Submitted on June 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. United States Customs House and Court House. The building was begun in 1860 and completed in 1861. The Boston firm of Blaisdell and Emerson built it in 114 days, an unprecedented accomplishment at the time. The extensive use of fireproof cast iron was revolutionary then and likely accounted for the building's survival from the 1885 Galveston fire. During the Civil War, the Confederate Army occupied the building. In 1865 it was the site of the ceremony officially ending the war in Galveston. (Submitted on June 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.