Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Corpus Christi Cathedral
The Corpus Christi Cathedral is the second structure to serve as cathedral for the Diocese of Corpus Christi. It replaced Saint Patrick's, the church which had become the cathedral when the city was elevated to Diocesan seat in 1912. After a 1938 fire damaged Saint Patrick's (originally located at 800 Tancahua), the John G. Kenedy family began the drive for donations for a new cathedral by donating this property, the original site of their family residence, to the diocese.
Bishops E. B. Ledvina and Mariano S. Garriaga retained architect C.L. Monnot of Oklahoma, who designed this lofty, two-story structure. A stylized interpretation of the architecture of the early Spanish missions, the cathedral features asymmetrical bell towers with painted terra cotta domes, art glass windows, and a low-pitched gable tile roof.
The cornerstone was laid March 1, 1940. Pope Pius XII advised Bishop Ledvina to name the new structure after its host city, whose name in Latin means "Body of Christ". Later that year on July 17, 1940, the new structure was dedicated as the Corpus Christi Cathedral.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1065.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Landmarks • Notable Buildings.
Location. 27° 47.659′ N, 97° 23.795′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on North Upper Broadway north of Lipan Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located on the church grounds, beside the sidewalk, near the southeast corner of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 506 North Upper Broadway, Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Corpus Christi Cathedral Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Centennial House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gold Star Court of Honor (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Kinney's Trading Post (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Broadway Bluff Improvement (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lone Star Fair (approx. 0.2 miles away); Corpus Christi (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Cheston L. Heath School (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
Additional keywords. Roman
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 872 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on June 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 6. submitted on June 21, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.