San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Travis Street Crossing
County leaders purchased land on the west bank of the San Antonio River in 1859, intending to build a new courthouse and jail. Their plans changed and the property was sold in 1866 to a miller, Jacob Laux, who dammed the river and built a four-story mill on the site. Laux used both steam and water to power his mill that produced corn meal and flour at the rate of fourteen bushels an hour. He leased mill in the 1870s and early 1880s and then converted it to a boarding house. Though commercial development surrounded the old mill after Travis Street was extended across the river in 1910, family members continued to live there until it was sold in 1918. The Milam Building, designed by local architect George Willis and completed on the site in 1928, was the city's tallest reinforced concrete structure and the country's first air conditioned high-rise office structure.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 25.63′ N, 98° 29.555′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 East Travis Street, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Houston Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of De La Garza House, Gardens and Mint (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); T.C. Frost (about 500 feet away); Old Military Headquarters (about 500 feet away); Site of T. C. Frost Wool Warehouse (about 700 feet away); Site of Old Saint Mary's (about 700 feet away); Majestic Theatre (about 700 feet away); San Antonio's River Walk and Flood Control System (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . . First US air-conditioned high-rise office building. The Milam Building was the first high-rise air-conditioned office building in the United States. The air-conditioning design team was led by Willis H. Carrier, founder of the Carrier Engineering Corporation, in cooperation with architect George Willis, engineer M.L Diver, and contractor L.T. Wright and Company. The system provided 300 tons of refrigeration capacity with chilled water, piped to air-handling fans serving all floors. When it opened in January 1928, this 21-story building was also the tallest brick and concrete-reinforced (Submitted on June 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 134 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.