Jacksboro in Jack County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Established by the United States War Department
on November 26, 1867
as a protection of the frontier
against hostile Indians
Named in honor of
General Israel B. Richardson, U.S.A.,
killed at Antietam, September 17, 1862
Abandoned May 23, 1878
as the line of settlement had passed westward.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 2008.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 33° 12.36′ N, 98° 9.8′ W. Marker is in Jacksboro, Texas, in Jack County. Marker is on Park Road 61 0.6 miles west of South Main Street (U.S. 281), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksboro TX 76458, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lost Battalion (within shouting distance of this marker); Officers' Quarters Fort Richardson Cavalry Post Hospital, 1867 (about 600 feet away); James B. Dosher (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sewell Park (approx. half a mile away); G. D. Cross (approx. 0.6 miles away); Butterfield Stage Line (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Richardson (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksboro.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Richardson. from the Handbook of Texas Online (Submitted on June 24, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.)
2. Fort Richardson State Park, Historic Site & Lost Creek Reservoir State Trailway. (Submitted on June 24, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 24, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.