Durand in Shiawassee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Durand Union Station
The Detroit and Milwaukee Railway brought Durand its first rail service in 1856. In 1877 the Chicago & North Eastern Railroad reached the town, and in 1885 the Toledo, Ann Arbor and North Michigan (later the Ann Arbor Railroad) added its tracks. The Grand Trunk Railway System and the Ann Arbor Railroad built this depot in 1903, at a cost of $60,000, to serve the thousands of passengers who came to this railroad center. In 1905 the depot was nearly destroyed by fire; however, within six months this near-replica had been completed. The last Grand Trunk Western Railroad passenger train stopped here in 1971. Passenger service resumed in 1974 with Amtrak. The City of Durand acquired the depot in 1979.
Designed by Detroit architects Spier & Rohns, the 239-foot-long Grand Trunk Western Union Depot originally featured a spacious waiting room, a popular dining room, a lunch counter, areas for baggage and express mail, and telegraph and railroad offices. It was built of Missouri granite brick and Bedford cut stone and originally roofed in slate. Later roofs were of red tile and, in more recent years, of asphalt. Once the largest station in outstate Michigan, the depot is also one of the largest in a small town anywhere in the United States. On March 27, 1960, Grand Trunk Western train No. 56 left the depot for Detroit.
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number S316.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 27, 1960.
Location. 42° 54.573′ N, 83° 58.931′ W. Marker is in Durand, Michigan, in Shiawassee County. Marker is on Ann Arbor Street, 0.2 miles west of Russell Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Railroad Street, Durand MI 48429, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sandula Clock Tower (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Durand Railroad History / The Knights Templar Special (approx. ¼ mile away); Oakwood Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.2 miles away); Gaines Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.3 miles away); Village Of Gaines / Gaines Depot (approx. 4.3 miles away); Byron (approx. 6.2 miles away); Ellen May Tower / Spanish-American War Nurse (approx. 6.2 miles away); Byron Veterans Plaque (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Durand.
Also see . . .
1. Durand Union Station. (Submitted on June 25, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. The Michigan Railroad History Museum. (Submitted on June 25, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 25, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 25, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. 6. submitted on June 25, 2018.