Durand in Shiawassee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Durand Railroad History / The Knights Templar Special
Durand Railroad History
Durand's first settlers began farming here in 1837. Its first railroad, the Detroit and Milwaukee, arrived in 1856, thirty-one years before the village of Durand was officially organized. The settlement became a railroad center for the Grand Trunk and the Ann Arbor railroads. Trains passing through Durand ran to Toledo, Grand Rapids, Clare, Chicago, Port Huron and Detroit. Around the turn of the century, as many as thirty-five passenger trains, one hundred freight trains and three thousand passengers used the depot each day. Its yard facilities once included the only full-circle roundhouse on the Grand Trunk Western. In 1911 fifty percent of Durand's population was employed by the Grand Trunk Western Railway Company.
The Knights Templar Special
In June 1923, the sixty-seventh annual conclave of the Grand Commandery of Michigan Knights Templar was held in Flint. Western Michigan Sir Knights traveling to the Masonic convention commissioned a Grand Western Trunk special train. The train left on June 5. At 9:30 A. M. it came upon a split track at Clark's Crossing
Erected 1986 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number S578.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 54.716′ N, 83° 59.174′ W. Marker is in Durand, Michigan, in Shiawassee County. Marker is on West Clinton Street near Shiawassee Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Durand MI 48429, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sandula Clock Tower (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Durand Union Station (approx. ¼ mile away); Governor Parsons (approx. 7.9 miles away); Corunna Public Schools / Shiawassee Street School First National Bank (approx. 8.2 miles away); Maple River (approx. 8.2 miles away); Shiawassee County Courthouse (approx. 8.2 miles away); Hugh McCurdy / Hugh McCurdy Park (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Durand.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 25, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 25, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.