South Haven in Van Buren County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Lifesaving Station was a prominent landmark on South Haven's waterfront for more than a century before it was destroyed by fire in 1989. The U.S. Lifesaving Service (USLSS) built the lifesaving station in 1887 to ensure the safety of ships, crews, passengers, and cargoes. In 1915, the USLSS became the United States Coast Guard (USCG). As commercial shipping decreased, fewer goods and passengers needed assistance from the lifesaving crew. In the 1980s, South Haven was designated a Coast Guard Auxiliary Station, staffed by volunteers. Most services today are provided for recreational boaters.
Erected by South Haven Health System & Michigan Maritime Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Disasters • Military.
Location. 42° 24.115′ N, 86° 16.985′ W. Marker is in South Haven, Michigan, in Van Buren County. Marker can be reached from Water Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 Water Street, South Haven MI 49090, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birth of City Utilities (a few steps from this marker); History of the Channel Piers (within shouting distance of this marker); South Haven Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Resort Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); Over a Century of Tourism (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lightkeeper's Dwelling (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Entertainment Around the Harbor (approx. ¼ mile away); Commercial Shipping (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Haven.
More about this marker. Marker is a large composite plaque, mounted horizontally on waist-high posts. Marker is part of South Haven's Harbor Walk series.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. South Haven Harbor Walk
Also see . . .
1. South Haven Life Saving Station. The land for Coast Guard Station South Haven was acquired in 1872. The dwelling of the station was erected that same year. A Life Saving Station was built in 1887 on the north side of the river. Station moved to the south side of the harbor entrance in 1905. The dwelling was occupied until March 1972. In 1973 the station was deactivated and converted into an Auxiliary augmented (Submitted on June 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. South Haven Harbor Walk. This South Haven Harbor Walk map shows the location of this and other historical markers in South Haven. (Submitted on June 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 6. submitted on June 27, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.