Ovid in Clinton County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Village of Ovid / First Congregational Church of Ovid
Village of Ovid
In 1836, inhabitants of Ovid, Seneca Falls County, New York, began to settle this fertile farm area. Among them were Samuel Barker, who built his log cabin in "Section 6;" Jabez Denison, noted for his prowess in killing bears; and William Swarthout, who put his home by the Maple River, which passes through the town. Land given to the Detroit, Grand Haven and Milwaukee Railway determined the location of Ovid's depot. The incorporated Village of Ovid dates from 1869, when 227 voters were involved in its first election. Businesses, houses and factories rapidly grew in number. Lumber, general merchandise, cabinets, musical instruments, and carriages were among the wares carrying the Ovid stamp. Main Street became and continued to be a center of activity for village residents and others in the area. In 1980 Ovid claimed 1,712 residents.
First Congregational Church of Ovid
On February 13, 1871, twenty-two persons began Ovid's First Congregational Church. The next year this structure was erected. George Fox served as master carpenter. Its first minister was the Reverend William Mulder. Originally
Erected 1985 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L114.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 43° 0.424′ N, 84° 22.296′ W. Marker is in Ovid, Michigan, in Clinton County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is halfway between Williams Street and Pearl Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 222 North Main Street, Ovid MI 48866, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies Carriage House (here, next to this marker); George D. Sowers House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sleepy Hollow State Park (approx. 4.7 miles away); Paine-Gillam-Scott House (approx. 9˝ miles away); Curwood Castle (approx. 9.9 miles away); Judge Elias Comstock (approx. 9.9 miles away); a different marker also named Curwood Castle (approx. 9.9 miles away); Comstock Cabin (approx. 9.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ovid.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 27, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.