Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Román Building
Erected 1850 for Don Jose San Román, native of Biscay, Spain - importer, steamboat owner, merchant, investor in city lots. He and successor, Feliciano San Román, backed the Rio Grande Railroad.
Fulgencio Lopez was last of San Romans in charge here.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4553.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Hispanic Americans • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 25° 54.045′ N, 97° 29.862′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on East Elizabeth Street (Business U.S. 77) south of East 12th Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker and Texas Historical Medallion are mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, at the left edge of the building, facing East Elizabeth Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1245 East Elizabeth Street, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Roman Building (here, next to this marker); Bollack Department StoreFederal Court Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Celaya Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Brownsville Home of Charles Stillman (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stillman House / Residencia Stillman (about 400 feet away); Stillman House Museum (about 400 feet away); Manautou Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
Regarding San Román Building. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1966)
Also see . . . José San Román. José San Román, merchant, banker, and broker in the contraband cotton trade of the Civil War, son of Joaquín María de San Román, was born at Valle de Arcentales, Bilbao, Spain, in 1822. He came to America in the late 1830s and settled in New Orleans, where he was apprenticed to the English merchandise firm Thorn M. Grath Company. In 1846 San Román moved to Matamoros, Tamaulipas, and established a dry-goods firm sponsored by the company. By 1850 the business extended across the Rio Grande to the newly incorporated town of Brownsville, Texas. San Román prospered and expanded his business into commercial credit, trustee holdings, real estate, and cotton brokerage. (Submitted on June 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.