Corunna in Shiawassee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Corunna Public Schools / Shiawassee Street School
Corunna Public Schools
The Corunna School District was organized in 1842. Later that year a one-story frame schoolhouse was constructed. A teacher, Miss Cook, was hired in 1843 and received the "unprecedented salary of $2.50 per week" and the "privilege of boarding 'round" in the community. In 1851 a two-story brick school was built to accommodate Corunna's growing population. A larger, three-story brick school was erected in 1866 just north of the schoolhouse. In the fall of 1882, both buildings burned. Another three-story brick school was constructed later that year to serve grades kindergarten through twelve. On April 14, 1908, that school burned. The present school was built that same year with funds from insurance policies and a city bond issue.
Shiawassee Street School
Edwyn A. Bowd of Lansing, an architect popular in the early twentieth century for his plans of public buildings, designed the Shiawassee Street School, which opened in January 1909. Rickman and Son, who built the Shiawassee County Courthouse in 1903-1904, constructed this school at a cost of $31,000. The Georgian Revival-style school
Erected 1989 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1514.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 58.767′ N, 84° 7.086′ W. Marker is in Corunna, Michigan, in Shiawassee County. Marker is on South Shiawassee Street (State Highway 71), on the right when traveling south. Marker is between State Street and West Oliver Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corunna MI 48817, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First National Bank (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shiawassee County Courthouse (about 800 feet away); Governor Parsons (approx. ¼ mile away); Hugh McCurdy / Hugh McCurdy Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Steam Railroading InstituteThe Site of the First School House in Owosso (approx. 3 miles away); First Congregational Church and Society (approx. 3 miles away); Birthplace of Thomas Edmund Dewey (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corunna.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 28, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.