Junction City in Lane County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Finnish National Railways
— In Service 1904 - 1958 —
Engine 418 was built in Tampere, Finland, in 1904. In 1939-40 it saw services during the Winter War between Russia and Finland. Clearly visible are shrapnel scars from near-misses by Russia aircraft.
The principal difference between 418 and American locomotives is the track width and the coupling mechanism. The Finnish track width is five feet, the American width 4 feet 8 1/2 inches. Engine 418 uses chain couplings to connect cars while American locomotives use an automatic knuckle coupler.
Engine 418 originally came to Oregon as a gift from the Government of Finland to commemorate the State Centennial. From 1960 to 1980 the engine resided at Oakes Park in Portland.
In 1980, Honorary Finnish Counsul John Virtanen sought a new home for Engine 418, and selected Junction City. On August 7, 1980, Founder's Park and Finland Station became the final home for Locomotive 418.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars
Location. 44° 13.11′ N, 123° 12.201′ W. Marker is in Junction City, Oregon, in Lane County. Marker is at the intersection of Holly Street and W 5th Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Holly Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Junction City OR 97448, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Junction City — A Brief History (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lee House (about 400 feet away); Junction City’s First Jail (about 500 feet away); “The Struggle Has Ended” (approx. 4˝ miles away); Smithfield (approx. 6.7 miles away); West Side Old Territorial Road (approx. 6.8 miles away); Wilhelm Mill Water Wheel (approx. 7.9 miles away); The Belknap Settlement (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction City.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 291 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 29, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.