Leona in Leon County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of the First Court House Built in Leon County
County officials installed Nov. 12, 1846
Geo. V. Lusk, Chief Justice
Wm. Childress, Probate Judge
Israel P. Reinhardt, County Clerk
Wm. B. Middleton, Sheriff
David Foster, Coroner
Baxter King, Assessor and Col.
John C. Smith
The county seat was moved in 1850 to Centerville.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 9622.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 31° 9.314′ N, 95° 58.105′ W. Marker is in Leona, Texas, in Leon County. Marker is at the intersection of North Leona Boulevard (State Highway 75) and Farm to Market Road 977, on the right when traveling north on North Leona Boulevard. Marker is located in a field next to the Leona Post Office. Touch for map Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leon County (approx. 1.4 miles away); Fort Boggy (approx. 3.1 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Centerville (approx. 7 miles away); Leon County Courthouse (approx. 7.2 miles away); El Camino Real (approx. 12˝ miles away); Madison County (approx. 13.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.