Near Centerville in Leon County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created March 17, 1846 Organized July 13, 1846
Named in honor of
Martin de Leon
A Texas empresario
Founder of Victoria
County seat, Leona 1846
Centerville, since 1850
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 9628.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 31° 10.474′ N, 95° 58.381′ W. Marker is near Centerville, Texas, in Leon County. Marker is on State Highway 75 1.8 miles north of Farm to Market Road 977, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located at a small pull-off from the highway just south of Fort Boggy State Park. The marker is currently heavily obstructed by the surrounding trees. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Centerville TX 75833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the First Court House Built in Leon County Fort Boggy (approx. 1.9 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Centerville (approx. 5.7 miles away); Leon County Courthouse (approx. 5.8 miles away); El Camino Real (approx. 13.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Leon County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.