Centerville in Leon County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Leon County Courthouse
Built 1887 of slate brick, locally made. One of oldest Texas courthouses still in its original state. County created in 1846. County seat was moved from Leona to Centerville in 1850.
Two earlier courthouses have occupied this site.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9629.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 31° 15.503′ N, 95° 58.691′ W. Marker is in Centerville, Texas, in Leon County. Marker is at the intersection of East St Marys Street (State Highway 7) and Commerce Street (State Highway 75), on the left when traveling east on East St Marys Street. Marker is mounted on the front of the courthouse, just to the right of the main entrance doors. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 East St Marys Street, Centerville TX 75833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Centerville (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Fort Boggy Fort Boggy (approx. 4˝ miles away); Leon County (approx. 5.8 miles away); Site of the First Court House Built in Leon County (approx. 7.2 miles away); Concord Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 9˝ miles away); Boggy Community (approx. 9.8 miles away); Manaen Turnbull Smith (approx. 11.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Centerville.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.