Post of Concord Established
In 1768, Antonio de Ullos, Spain's Provincial Governor of the vast region of Louisiana, established and briefly held the original post and settlement of the land opposite the Natchez Landing, across the Mississippi River in Louisiana.
Thirty years later, Manuel Gayoso de Lemos, the Spanish Governor General of Louisiana, formally signed land grants for Don José Vidal of Natchez and his two sons opposite the landing and Plaza of Natchez on April 21, 1798. De Lemos stipulated that a section of this land be reserved for the construction of a fort. This reserved site is the location of the original Post of Concord where Vidal served as the Spanish Civil and Military Commandant.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 33.75′ N, 91° 25.359′ W. Marker is in Vidalia, Louisiana, in Concordia Parish. Marker can be reached from Front Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 Front Street, Vidalia LA 71373, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker.
More about this marker. Located on the south side of the Vidalia Conference & Convention Center building.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2018.