Bryan in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Brazos County, part of Stephen F. Austin’s colony, was created from Washington County in 1841. It was first named Navasota County, with Boonville as the county seat. In 1842 the name was changed to Brazos County. Through the Civil War, Millican, located at the end of the railroad from Houston, was a major town. When the railroad was continued through the county, Bryan became the county seat in 1866. The Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (Texas A&M) opened in 1876 and College Station grew around it, incorporating in 1938.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 8666.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 30° 40.417′ N, 96° 22.25′ W. Marker is in Bryan, Texas, in Brazos County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East 26th Street and North Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 East 26th Street, Bryan TX 77803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harvey Mitchell (here, next to this marker); Brazos County Confederate Commissioners Court (a few steps from this marker); Town Named for William Joel Bryan (a few steps from this marker); Carnegie Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Queen Theater (approx. 0.2 miles away); La Salle Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); The CW&BV and I&GN Railroads in Bryan (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bryan.
More about this marker. Marker is a metal tablet mounted on large granite pedestal. The marker was originally placed in 1936 as part of the Texas Centennial Highway Marker series. It was restored in 2000 with new bronze work and revised text.
Also see . . .
1. Brazos County.
The county was named for the nearby Brazos River. Bryan is the county seat, and College Station is the other major community in the county. The territory that is now Brazos County was included in Stephen F. Austin's second colony and became part of Washington Municipality under the Mexican government. In 1860 growth in the county was speeded by the arrival of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad, with Millican as its terminus. Brazos County politics was also tumultuous in the post Civil War period. Immediately after the war, during the presidential phase of Reconstruction, former Confederates were allowed to hold local office and the prewar political structure of the county remained (Submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Brazos County Historical Timeline.
A detailed timeline of Brazos County events from settlement through 2002 (Submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Welcome to Brazos County, Texas!.
During the twentieth century, Bryan and College Station played an increasingly important role in the life of the county. After its founding as a railroad town in 1866, Bryan slowly grew to a community of 3,589 in 1900, when approximately one-fifth of county residents lived there. The nearby community of College Station, which grew around Texas A&M after its founding in the 1870s, numbered only 391 inhabitants in 1900. In 1980 the urban population continued to grow both absolutely and with relation to the rural population. In 1980 the 81,506 inhabitants of Bryan-College Station were 87 percent of the residents of Brazos County. (Submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.