Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Franklin in Robertson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Franklin Carnegie Library

 
 
Franklin Carnegie Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 1, 2018
1. Franklin Carnegie Library Marker
Inscription.  The city of Franklin housed a library of 1,000 volumes in its City Hall before 1913. In February that year, Franklin Mayor R. M. Cole (1848-1931) applied to the Carnegie Corporation of New York for funds to build a new library. The Carnegie Corporation approved plans and granted $7,500 to the project. This brick building with classical details and a pressed-metal roof resembling tiles was designed by an architect named Patterson and completed in 1914, though it served as a library only through 1918. School classes and public activities were held here through 1984.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986

 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10925.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Carnegie Libraries series list.
 
Location. 31° 1.641′ N, 96° 29.051′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Texas, in Robertson County. Marker is at the intersection of East Decherd
Franklin Carnegie Library image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 1, 2018
2. Franklin Carnegie Library
Street and North Owensville Street, on the right when traveling east on East Decherd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 315 East Decherd Street, Franklin TX 77856, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robertson County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robertson County (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Franklin (approx. 2˝ miles away); New Baden (approx. 3.6 miles away); Wheelock (approx. 10.4 miles away); a different marker also named Wheelock (approx. 10.4 miles away); Camp Hearne World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 12.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 7, 2020