Bryan in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
As a member of a local committee, his determination and tact secured the location of the A. & M. College of Texas for his county. He rightly deserves title, "Father of Brazos County".
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8689.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Education • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil.
Location. 30° 40.42′ N, 96° 22.249′ W. Marker is in Bryan, Texas, in Brazos County. Marker is on East 26th Street west of North Texas Avenue ( Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 East 26th Street, Bryan TX 77803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brazos County Confederate Commissioners Court (here, next to this marker); Town Named for William Joel Bryan (here, next to this marker); Brazos County (here, next to this marker); Carnegie Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Queen Theater (approx. 0.2 miles away); La Salle Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); The CW&BV and I&GN Railroads in Bryan (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bryan.
Also see . . .
1. Harvey Mitchell- Father of Brazos County and Texas A&M.
In 1871, when the Texas Legislature was searching for a college location, Mitchell, this leader of rural low-populated Brazos County, saw an opportunity. Despite the fact that several large cities were avidly seeking this prize college, Mitchell, along with his three man committee, reached out to grab this brass ring. They donated nearly 2500 acres of Brazos County land to the State of Texas. The Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas was established in what would become College Station by the state legislature on April 17, 1871 as the state’s 1st public institution of higher education (Submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Harvey, Texas.
Harvey is on Farm Road 30 some two miles southeast of Bryan in central Brazos County. It was established in 1879 and named for Col. Harvey Mitchell, an early settler of Booneville. Mitchell was known as the "Father of Brazos County" for his contribution to the development of the area. He was a justice of the peace, a minister, a hotel and store owner, a surveyor, and a blacksmith. (Submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on July 3, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2. submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.