Kyle in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
WPA Projects at Kyle School
The school grew steadily with the town, adding facilities to the campus, and by the 1930s the school board applied to the federal government for construction funds for a combination auditorium/gymnasium and a home economics cottage. Through the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a New Deal agency active during the Great Depression, the U.S. government paid for about three-fourths of the cost, while Kyle voters approved a bond issue in February 1935 to fund the remainder. Work on the project began in January 1936, giving jobs to 29 men, and also resulting in general improvements to the school grounds and
The WPA buildings at the Kyle campus, crafted by local labor and built of locally quarried limestone, have served since their construction as educational facilities and social centers. Kyle merged with other county schools in 1967 to form the Hays Consolidated Independent School District.
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13939.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1936.
Location. 29° 59.489′ N, 97° 52.685′ W. Marker is in Kyle, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is at the intersection of North Nance Street and Blanco Street, on the left when traveling north on North Nance Street. The marker is on the southeast corner of the Earnest Kimbro Multipurpose Building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kyle TX 78640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of Kyle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Katherine Anne Porter (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Wheeler Bunton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kyle (approx. ¼ mile away); Old D. A. Young Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Cora Jackman Donalson House (approx. ¼ mile away); Lex Word and the Bon Ton (approx. ¼ mile away); The Kyle Auction Oak (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kyle.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.