Greenville in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Phillips Field/Majors Stadium
In 1946, the field was realigned to become the home of a minor league baseball team, the Majors, named for Truett Majors, the first Greenville resident killed in World War II. More than 160,000 people attended Majors games in 1946, and Greenville fielded a number of competitive teams in the late 1940s. In 1947, the football stands were razed and replaced with a baseball stadium. On April 10, 1949, the Majors hosted an exhibition game against the New York Yankees, defeating them 4-3. Among those who participated for the Yankees that day were Casey Stengel, manager, and Joe
Attendance at Majors' games declined by 1950, and the team folded before the following season. Reorganized minor league teams, also named the majors, played here in 1953 and 1957. Youth and amateur leagues used the field until the property sold in 1964 and the stadium was demolished. Today, the stadium's arched entryway, built by the Works Progress Administration in 1940, serves as a reminder of the countless athletes and fans who gathered here in the spirit of competition.
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13142.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Sports.
Location. 33° 8.466′ N, 96° 6.132′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is at the intersection of Houston Street and Blades Street, on the right when traveling north on Houston Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville TX 75401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Greenville Cotton Compress (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Seven Courthouses of Hunt County (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1929 Hunt County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hunt County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Central Christian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Greenville (approx. half a mile away); Greenville Building and Loan Association (approx. half a mile away); The Old Greenville Post Office (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 4, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.