Near Colorado City in Mitchell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Town of Cuthbert
Town was named for Bozeman's neighbor, T.T. Cuthbertson, first Postmaster was Mrs. Bozeman. A good well by Bozeman's General Store attracted freighters.
First Cuthbert School opened in 1893. First rural telephone line in county was built in 1898 from Bozeman's home to Colorado (City). In 1907, Cuthbert boasted Bozeman's Store, C.W. Womack's General Store, a gin, blacksmith shop, barber shop, church, and school. Post office closed, 1959.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4906.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 28.946′ N, 101° 2.024′ W. Marker is near Colorado City, Texas, in Mitchell County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 1229 and County Highway 220, on the right when traveling south on Highway 1229. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Colorado City TX 79512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 Coleman Ranch Field Discovery Well (approx. 1.6 miles away); Handley Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Campsite of the Marcy Expedition (approx. 4.1 miles away); Ira (approx. 7.1 miles away); J. J. Moore No. 1 Oil Well (approx. 7.1 miles away); We Will Remember (approx. 9˝ miles away); Site of First Westbrook School and Church (approx. 9˝ miles away); Discovery Well of the Permian Basin (approx. 9.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colorado City.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 4, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.