Fredericktown in Madison County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Madison County Courthouse
has been placed on the
National Register of
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
December 28, 2000
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 37° 33.587′ N, 90° 17.665′ W. Marker is in Fredericktown, Missouri, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Square and North Main Street, on the left when traveling west on Court Square. Marker is a National Register of Historic Places plaque, mounted at waist-level, directly on the Madison County Courthouse, just to the left of the north entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Court Square, Fredericktown MO 63645, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Revolutionary War 1775-1783 (a few steps from this marker); War Eagle Trail (a few steps from this marker); Madison County Missouri (a few steps from this marker); Henry F. Frizzell Memorial Fredericktown (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Post Office Fredericktown, Missouri (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line).
Also see . . .
1. Madison County Courthouse. Madison County Courthouse is a historic courthouse located at Fredericktown, Madison County, Missouri. It was designed by architect Theodore Link and built in 1900. It is a two-story, rectangular, eclectic Late Victorian style brick and granite building with an attic and full basement. It features a square, five-story tower with a steep pyramidal roof and finial. (Submitted on July 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Madison County Court House. (This link presents historic photos and documents for both the 1822 and 1899 [this one] courthouses.) Madison County held its first Circuit Court meetings in homes. The County Court organized in 1821, and it too met in homes until 1822. Madison County's first courthouse was a brick structure, built of hand made bricks from the area in 1822; it continued in use until J. F. Boggs was paid $25 for tearing it down in 1899 to make way for the new courthouse. (Submitted on July 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Madison County Courthouse National Register Registration Form. (Submitted on July 5, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.