Centerville in Leon County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Named for its proximity to Boggy Creek, the fort consisted of two blockhouses with eleven dwellings inside an area of about 5000 square feet. A military company, authorized by Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar, was formed under the leadership of Capt. Thomas Greer to protect the fort. According to one account, 77 people moved into the fort upon its completion. Illness proved to be a major problem for them.
In 1841, while leading a scouting party beyond the fort, Captain Greer was killed in an Indian attack. Soon after, the threat of raids lessened, and the need for Fort Boggy no longer was vital. For many years, however, a community church and school
As an early aid in the settlement of this area, Fort Boggy remains significant to the history of Leon County.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9624.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is February 5, 1840.
Location. 31° 11.665′ N, 95° 59.64′ W. Marker is in Centerville, Texas, in Leon County. Marker is on Interstate 45, on the right when traveling south. This marker is in a southbound rest area on I-45 about 5 miles south of Centerville, Texas, just west of Fort Boggy State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Centerville TX 75833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Fort Boggy (approx. 0.6 miles away); Leon County (approx. 1.9 miles away); Site of the First Court House Built in Leon County (approx. 3.1 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Centerville (approx. 4.4 miles away); Leon County Courthouse (approx. 4½ miles away); Boggy Community (approx. 7 miles away); Kings Highway Camino Real Old San Antonio Road (approx. 8.1 miles away); a different marker Kings Highway Camino Real Old San Antonio Road (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Centerville.
Also see . . . Fort Boggy - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 59 times this year. Last updated on July 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on July 2, 2018, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 2. submitted on July 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.