Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenville in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Old Greenville Post Office

 
 
The Old Greenville Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 17, 2018
1. The Old Greenville Post Office Marker
Inscription.  Tradition says mail came from Jefferson in early days and was dropped at a saloon. Greenville Post Office was created in 1847, and occupied rented quarters until 1910, when this structure was built. Neo-classic in style, it became an important element in architectural development of the city. In 1930, it was enlarged. Audie Murphy joined the army in this building on June 20, 1942, his 18th birthday; later he became the most decorated soldier of World War II. The city of Greenville acquired the structure in 1973 for historic preservation.
 
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7799.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately 📭 series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 20, 1942.
 
Location. 33° 8.399′ N, 96° 6.644′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee Street (State Highway 302 Spur) and King Street, on the left when traveling east on Lee Street. The marker is
The Old Greenville Post Office image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 17, 2018
2. The Old Greenville Post Office
Click or scan to see
this page online
in front on the old post office which is now called the Landmark on Lee Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2920 Lee St, Greenville TX 75401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Greenville Building and Loan Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Greenville "Herald" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Greenville (about 500 feet away); Hunt County's First Railroad (about 500 feet away); Central Christian Church (about 700 feet away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1929 Hunt County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Seven Courthouses of Hunt County (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 4, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=119712

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 17, 2021