Cooper in Delta County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First National Bank
Chartered as a national bank 1891. Erected this building 1909.
Guaranty State Bank merged with First National 1925. This bank has had continued growth.
The founder, Wm. J. McDonald (1844 - 1926), at his death left a great fortune to establish an astronomical observatory of the first order - the McDonald Observatory, in West Texas.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 6936.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 33° 22.436′ N, 95° 41.329′ W. Marker is in Cooper, Texas, in Delta County. Marker is at the intersection of West Side Square and West Dallas Avenue (State Route 154), on the left when traveling north on West Side Square. Mounted to the outside wall of the bank. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11 West Side Square, Cooper TX 75432, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within The Texas Livery Stable (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cooper Rail Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Delta County (approx. 1.4 miles away); Hiram Rattan (approx. 3.4 miles away); DeSpain Bridge (approx. 4.7 miles away); Confederate Refugees in Texas, C. S. A. (approx. 10.8 miles away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 10.8 miles away); Townsite of Tarrant (approx. 13.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cooper.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.