Fairmount Heights in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In Honor of the Men and Women of Fairmount Heights who Served in World War II
Erected 1946 by Monument Memorial Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • War, World II.
Location. 38° 53.961′ N, 76° 54.944′ W. Marker is in Fairmount Heights, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of 59th Avenue and 59th Place on 59th Avenue. The monument site is a triangular park located a block north of Eastern Avenue, NE, the boundary between the District of Columbia and Prince George's County, MD. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Capitol Heights MD 20743, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War II Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Fairmount Heights Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trammell-Taylor House (about 400 feet away); Robert S. Nichols House (about 600 feet away); John S. Johnson House (about 600 feet away); Henry Pinckney House Municipal Center Site (about 700 feet away); The Original Municipal Center (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairmount Heights.
More about this marker. The Maryland Historical Trust Historic Sites Survey includes the following it its description of this historical marker:
This is a tall slim monument, constructed of blocks of gray granite and orange sandstone, in random arrangement. The principal section of the monument is a slim pyrmaid, rising from a square base of the same random stone construction. The base rests on a single wide course of granite; a similar course of granite forms a line of demarcation between the base and the pyramid, and two more courses form horizontal lines of decoration in the pyramid itself. The monument is surmounted by a single block of granite in the form of a pyramid itself.
On each face of the square base is a projecting rectangular panel, and to each panel is attached an inscribed copper plate (the east plate is missing). On the south (principal) plate is inscribed
"In honor of the men and women of Fairmount Heights who served in World War II"
"Erected in November 1946 by the Monument Memorial Committee".
Officials of the town are listed in this principal text; these names include Mr. and Mrs. Malkiah Charity, James Campbell, Mayor, and Doswell Brooks, member of the town council.
Regarding In Honor of the Men and Women of Fairmount Heights who Served in World War II. Fairmount Heights was developed as an African American community in the first third of the 20th century. This marker occupies a prominent place in the community.
Also see . . . Fairmount Heights. (Submitted on June 10, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,327 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on July 5, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on June 10, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 5. submitted on June 10, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 6. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.