Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sacred Heart Church
Built in 1912 for the first English-speaking parish in Brownsville, this gothic revival church was designed by Frederick B. Gaenslen. The entrance gallery features corinthian columns and the initials “OMI” in the keystone of the central arch for the Oblates of Mary Immaculate.
Esta iglesia renacentista gótica, construido en 1912, fue diseñada por el arquitecto Frederick B. Gaenslen. La galería en la entrada muestra columnas corintias y las iniciales "OMI" clave del arco principal, las cuales corresponden a Oblatos de María Inmaculada.
The Parishioners of Sacred Heart Church
Erected by City of Brownsville & the Parishioners of Sacred Heart Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion.
Location. 25° 54.292′ N, 97° 30.143′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on East Elizabeth Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 602 East Elizabeth Street, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sacred Heart Catholic Church (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Sacred Heart Church (here, next to this marker); Rock/Gomez House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rock-Gomez Residence (about 500 feet away); Alonso Building (about 600 feet away); Russell/Cocke House (about 600 feet away); Alonso Complex (about 600 feet away); U.S. Federal Building (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
More about this marker. Marker is in the Brownsville Heritage Trail series.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.