Sulphur Springs in Hopkins County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Home County of Texas Confederate General W. H. King / Texas in the Civil War
1839 — 1910
Georgian. Moved to Texas 1861. Rose to rank of colonel, 18th Texas Infantry. Led regiment in Red River Campaign of 1863 to prevent split of South along Mississippi. Commanded the 18th in Red River Campaign 1864 to stop invasion of Texas. Wounded Mansfield, La. and made brigadier general. Recovered to lead Walker's Division for a time and brigades in Louisiana and East Texas. Texas adjutant general 1881-91.
Texas made an all-out effort for the Confederacy after a 3 to 1 vote for secession. 90,000 troops, famous for daring and mobility, fought on every battlefront. A 2,000 mile frontier and coastline was successfully defended from Union troops and savage Indians. State and private industry produced war goods. Cotton - life blood of South - traded thru Mexico for medicine and military supplies. Texas was storehouse of Western Confederacy. Citizens made sacrifices to produce food and clothing
Erected 1963 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 7317.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 33° 8.297′ N, 95° 36.044′ W. Marker is in Sulphur Springs, Texas, in Hopkins County. Marker can be reached from Church Street west of Loop State Highway 313. Located within Celebration Plaza on the lawn of the Hopkins County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Church Street, Sulphur Springs TX 75482, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hopkins County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); City National Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Union Stockade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sulphur Springs Volunteer Fire Department and Fire Bell of 1889 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Townsite of Tarrant (approx. 4.2 miles away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 7.4 miles away); Confederate Refugees in Texas, C. S. A. (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sulphur Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.