Sulphur Springs in Hopkins County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hopkins County Courthouse
The new structure was designed by James Riely Gordon (1864-1937), popular courthouse architect from San Antonio, and constructed by the Dallas firm of Sonnefield and Emmins. Austin architect A. O. Watson was hired to inspect the work. He admired the plans but suggested bracing to strengthen the stonework. The building was completed on Aug. 22, 1895, at a final cost of $75,000. A clock for the tower was requested by some citizens, but county commissioners refused to provide funds for it.
Made of red granite with contrasting sandstone trim, the Hopkins County Courthouse is a fine example of the massive Richardsonian Romanesque style which Gordon often used. The quarter-circular porches at the northwest and southwest corners
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7315.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is February 11, 1894.
Location. 33° 8.307′ N, 95° 36.048′ W. Marker is in Sulphur Springs, Texas, in Hopkins County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Church Street and Jefferson Street (Business U.S. 67) when traveling east. Located on east side of courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 Church Street, Sulphur Springs TX 75482, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home County of Texas Confederate General W. H. King / Texas in the Civil War (a few steps from this marker); City National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); First United Methodist Church of Sulphur Springs (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church of Sulphur Springs (about 500 feet away); Sulphur Springs Loan and Building Association (about 700 feet away); First Christian Church (about 700 feet away); Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram (about 800 feet away); Site of the Union Stockade (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sulphur Springs.
More about this marker. Sub marker reads: Entered in the National Register of Historic Places - 1977.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the Hopkins County Courthouse. (Submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 179 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.