Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Jacinto High School
Houston Junior College, predecessor to the University of Huston, began offering night classes at San Jacinto High School in 1927. An east wing containing 20 classrooms, a boys' gymnasium, and lunch room was built in 1929. In 1936 an art deco style west wing containing an 1800-seat auditorium, classrooms, and a girls' gymnasium was built. The University of Houston, which officially opened here in 1934, continued to offer night classes at San Jacinto High School until 1939.
Special Education students began attending classes here in 1947. In 1960 two large technical/vocational school facilities were added to the San Jacinto High School complex. San Jacinto High School held its final classes here in 1970 when the Houston Technical Institute occupied the building. Houston Community College began offering classes here in 1971.
Many of San Jacinto High School's
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10773.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1914.
Location. 29° 44.265′ N, 95° 22.578′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Holman Street and Caroline Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located on the back of the San Jacinto Monument replica located in the San Jacinto Memorial Green on the Houston Community College campus. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 Holman Street, Houston TX 77004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Evangelical Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Temple Beth Israel (about 400 feet away); Houston Light Guard Armory (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Houston Light Guard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Houston's First Sit-inCourtlandt Place (approx. half a mile away); James L. Autry House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.