Lorman in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Alcorn State University (1871)
Windsor Battlefield Tour
Oakland College managed to continue operation until 1861. In 1871 the buildings were purchased for $42,500 by the State in order that a school might be established for blacks. Oakland College reorganized as Chamberlain-Hunt Academy and relocated to Port Gibson. Incorporated on May 13, 1871, Alcorn University was named for James Alcorn, the twenty-eighth governor of Mississippi, who first suggested that Oakland College be acquired to establish a normal school for training black teachers. Hiram Reveis, the first Negro to be elected to the United States Senate, was selected as the school's first president, serving from 1871 to 1882. Under Reveis, an agricultural department was created, and the name was changed to Alcorn Agricultural and Mechanical College, the first land grant college for blacks in the United States (1878). Alcorn became the first college which had awarded degrees to black as well as white students. The school continues to be maintained as one of Mississippi's three land grant institutions and was awarded university status in 1974.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans Education. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series list.
Location. 31° 52.561′ N, 91° 8.402′ W. Marker is in Lorman, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is on ASU Drive east of Alcorn Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lorman MS 39096, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Original Campus (here, next to this marker); Oakland Memorial Chapel (here, next to this marker); The Chapel (a few steps from this marker); Oakland College (a few steps from this marker); Alcorn Agricultural And Mechanical College (within shouting distance of this marker); Belles Lettres Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Port Gibson to Rodney Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); Canemount Plantation (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lorman.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 132 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2018.