Greenville in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Organized July 19, 1846
Named in honor of
General Memucan Hunt
Secretary of the Navy and
Inspector General of the Army
of the Republic of Texas
Minister to the United
Adjutant General in the
Member of the Texas Legislature
Greenville, the county seat
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 7805.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 33° 8.353′ N, 96° 6.421′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and Stonewall Street (State Highway 34), on the left when traveling east on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2507 Lee St, Greenville TX 75401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1929 Hunt County Courthouse (within The Seven Courthouses of Hunt County (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Christian Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Greenville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenville Building and Loan Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Greenville Post Office (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Phillips Field/Majors Stadium (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hunt County's First Railroad (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.