George Rogers House - 1929
George Rogers (1880-1961) a native of Portugal, came to the United States in the early 1900's. He settled the Oswego area in 1911 and worked briefly for Fred Morey (owner of a large estate which is now Glenmorrie), met Lottie Smoke whom he married in 1914, and in 1923 opened his first grocery store on State and B streets.
Rogers subsequently acquired the property on the NW corner of State & A on which he built the now historic Rogers Building, then the building on the NW corner of A & 1st Streets, as well as two building on the East side of 1st.
He was devoted to restoring the abandoned
George Rogers died February 15, 1961, and was interred in Sacred Heart Cemetery.
Erected 2005 by Oswego Heritage Council.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 45° 24.78′ N, 122° 39.78′ W. Marker is in Lake Oswego, Oregon, in Clackamas County. Marker is at the intersection of Wilbur Street and Durham Street, on the left when traveling east on Wilbur Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake Oswego OR 97034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Iron Company Worker's Cottage (a few steps from this marker); Old Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Lakewood School - 1928 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Green Street
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.