Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church Georgetown
In 1879, Major W.E. Penn, a southern lay evangelist, held a camp meeting at the “Fair Grounds” (now called San Gabriel Park) near Five Springs. Hundreds attended and were baptized, including many of the First Baptist Church. Also in 1879, a group of Baptist women formed the Ladies Aid Society to support foreign missions, education and Buckner’s Orphanage. In 1917, the church congregation formed the Williamson County Baptist Association.
In the 1880s, Mrs. Lizzie Glasscock Talbot donated land at Sixth and Church Streets for a church and parsonage. As membership grew, however, a larger facility was needed. In 1926, Mrs. Helen Boatner Glasscock
With more than 4,000 members, the congregation continues to support local organizations and churches. Through education, missions and outreach, the First Baptist Church Georgetown has been a committed source of faith in the community.
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18204.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is October 30, 1866.
Location. 30° 37.943′ N, 97° 42.451′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on West University Avenue (State Highway 29) west of River Chase Boulevard, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1333 W Unitversity Ave, Georgetown TX 78628, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Page-Decrow-Weir House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Georgetown Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Railroad Produce Warehouse (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site of Marshall-Carver High School (approx. 1.7 miles away); Macedonia Baptist Church (approx. Marsh F. Smith House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Farmers State Bank Building (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Also see . . . First Baptist Church Georgetown. (Submitted on July 9, 2018.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.