Flagstaff in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Kilpatrick rebuilt, erecting a two-story brick store on the west lot in 1886. In 1887 he built a one-story brick building on the east lot, increasing it to two stories in 1888. Fire destroyed the east building in 1893. A single-story building was put up to replace it circa 1896. (Photo).
Julius Aubineau bought both buildings in 1898. Because of his prominence (Aubineau was Mayor of Flagstaff in 1898 and the father of the city's water system) and his family's long ownership of the buildings, they became known as the Aubineau Buildings. Aubineau died in 1903. In 1905 his widow married Fred Hensing, who ran a store here with Aubineau's sons.
Hensing tore out the old buildings in 1912 and built the present structure, which has one storefront on Route 66 and a series of storefronts running along Leroux Street to the alley.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the U.S. Route 66 series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1883.
Location. 35° 11.86′ N, 111° 38.947′ W. Marker is in Flagstaff, Arizona, in Coconino County. Marker is at the intersection of East Route 66 and North Leroux Street, on the right when traveling west on East Route 66. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 East Route 66, Flagstaff AZ 86001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McMillan Building (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named McMillan Building (a few steps from this marker); Raymond Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Coconino Chop House (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroad Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Transcontinental Railroad Centennial (within shouting distance of this marker); Aubineau / Andreatos Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Telephone Exchange (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flagstaff.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,339 times since then and 110 times this year. Last updated on July 9, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4, 5. submitted on July 2, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Dewey, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.