Somerset in Perry County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
A Seed of Catholic Education in Ohio / The Cradle of Catholicity in Ohio
In April 1830 four Dominican sisters from St. Catherine's, Kentucky, founded St. Mary's Academy, the first Catholic school in Perry County. Bishop Edward Fenwick, first Bishop of Ohio, donated a small brick house and attached building situated on an acre of land for the school's use. Classes began with forty students. The following year the sisters built a three-story structure with a dormitory for boarders; by the end of the Civil War, enrollment had increased to 134 students, and St. Mary's gained recognition as one of the finest schools in Ohio. An 1866 fire destroyed the academy, and in 1885 the Dominican sisters reestablished the academy as a parish school. The present Holy Trinity School building dates to 1968.
Side 2 The Cradle of Catholicity in Ohio
On October 1827, one of Ohio's earliest Catholic churches was consecrated on the highest point in Somerset, a site that became known as Piety Hill. Named Holy Trinity, this small brick church served Somerset parishioners for twenty-five years under Rev. Nicholas Dominic Young, O.P., as pastor. In
Erected 2002 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission; Holy Trinity School; The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-64.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1830.
Location. 39° 48.266′ N, 82° 17.788′ W. Marker is in Somerset, Ohio, in Perry County. Marker is on S. Columbus St. (Ohio Route 13), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 228 S Columbus St, Somerset OH 43783, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Philip Henry Sheridan (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nellie Sheridan Wilson (approx. ¼ mile away); The Sheridan Monument / 1829 Courthouse (approx. Jacob Miller’s Tavern (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Lutheran Synod (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Sheridan Homestead (approx. half a mile away); Somerset (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Catholic Church in Ohio (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Somerset.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,554 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.